33 063 “RJ Mitchell” has completed assisting on Santa duties, performing faultlessly throughout.
Welcome to the S.E.L.G. website
- Transporting the two ‘Cromptons’ to the East Kent Railway & their subsequent return to working order
- Our Cromptons at the Spa Valley Rly. (from 2003)
- 33063 named “R.J.Mitchell”, Sept. 2005
- The overhaul of 33065 (commenced 2011)
- Driver Experience days (also called Drive-a-loco)
- News and updates on other Crompton activity in the U.K.
- Articles on Crompton-related subjects; railtours and Class 33′s in bygone years, for example
LATEST NEWS : 3rd January 2018
Our last newsletter of 2017 was dispatched to SELG members just before Christmas. In summary….
After returning from the GCR in 3/17, the loco has been in regular use through the year, culminating in top’n tailing the Santa Specials in December. Some 3000 miles of running has been accumulated during 2017.
A governor oil seal has been changed during the year , curing a niggling leak.
New internal bodyside filters are helping reduce the ingress of steam loco dirt and urban dust. What does get past is brushed up.
The anti-freeze has been checked and is good down to -25C.
Minor bodywork repairs have been undertaken, maintaining the general appearance of the loco.
(you’ll be prompted to log on to Facebook if not already logged in)
- Cab and bodyside metal replacement work has continued periodically in 2017. While cab 2 welding is complete (Eridge end), the Tunbridge Wells end (cab 1) has required much more welding to the cab frames than cab 2. The loco sides have been rubbed down and primed.