33 063 : There can only be one subject for this newsletter – 63s Triple Pump
During the Autumn it became apparent that the earth fault trips located under the drivers desks were tripping as soon as the control was moved from Off to Engine Only. Whilst we had had intermittent tripping before the trip appeared to be getting more regular. Attempted were made to check out the various cables / motors and brushes without positive result but it did allow better understanding of the circuits on this particular aspect of the loco.
However, after a driving training day, it was decided to recheck the Triple pump motor brushes, whereupon a tell tale line of solder on the brush inspection cover was found. If the motor was not the cause of the earth, it was certainly not well, so the loco was declared ‘failed’ and not for further use.
With no spare triple pump motor, an approach was made to Dowding and Mills of Stratford for a price to investigate, and report. The motor was then removed and split from the water pump and oil pumps. A new seal was ordered before the motor being delivered to Dowdings. The motor was stripped, where it was found that two armature windings were open circuit and the motor bearing had been bodged the last time the motor had been repaired (not known when). Trouble was this motor has bar windings and thus would need hand rewinding. This together with the bearing housing repair would require many hours of repairs – not cheap. A good quote was negotiated and repairs sanctioned.
Meantime our mechanical guru cleaned and painted both the removed pumps and our spare pump housings. The repaired motor was reinstated and connected up, yes it ran sweetly and in the correct direction but horrors, the earth trip still tripped. Out with the meggers again and we found one cable intermittently down to earth where the cable ran in the flexible conduit. The insulation was completed cracked around in several places. It was decided to rewire completely so new BR spec cable was ordered and fitted. These few words hide a great deal of effort in getting the old cables out and new ones in. The positive cable runs to the main electrical cubicle via the floor trunking and the negative to the No1 resistor bank on the roof. Advice from other groups suggested we rerun in a new route forward of the radiators instead running to the original route, advice which was followed gratefully. We bought a new crimping tool and new lugs were used throughout.
All cabled up and guess what, the damn trips still popped at once. So every single cable on this part of the engine run circuit had to be disconnected and megered out. The problem remained until the last cable was tested on the neg return bar in the electrical cubicle and it turned out to be – the cooker element.
A weekend was spent putting the pumps with new water seal back on, after a member had cleaned and painted the bedplate in the pump area.
Finally antifreeze was pumped back in, the engine was barred over a coupe of revs. We started the triple pump and watched the pressures rise on the water and oil. A few tightens on the clips and all was water and oil tight. A fuel pipe was cracked open a tad on no.8 and full inlet pressure was found. So we pumped the air up with the compressor and pushed the button. She started on the second turn, and was a bit lumpy to begin with but that was due to very cold oil in the governor and a bit of play in the fuel linkages.
At the time of writing we still have a couple of slack adjusters to replace, the cabs need a very good clean and we need to top up the radiator water a touch. The paperwork needs writing up, which is not particularly exciting but in this day and age needs to be done.
The bogie lift has been further delayed while jacking components and fittings are sourced.
33 065 : No report