Welcome to the S.E.L.G. website
- Transporting the two ‘Cromptons’ to the East Kent Railway & their subsequent return to working order
- Our Cromptons at the Spa Valley Rly. (from 2003)
- 33063 named “R.J.Mitchell”, Sept. 2005
- The overhaul of 33065 (commenced 2011)
- Driver Experience days (also called Drive-a-loco)
- News and updates on other Crompton activity in the U.K.
- Articles on Crompton-related subjects; railtours and Class 33’s in bygone years, for example
LATEST UPDATE : 11th August 2021
£10 ALL DAY ROVER, 12 HOURS of CROMPTON OPERATIONS – SAT. 4TH SEPTEMBER 2021 – 33063 & 33002
With the loss of 33012 on the Scotland tour planned for 4/9/21 (012 won’t be ready in time), consider this as an option…For the modest sum of just £10 (83p p/h !!) and £5 for a child, you can ride all day on the CIG, behind 33063, 33002 or combos of the two. Pay £20 and have a fish’n chips supper as well. Real ales will be available on the train. Too good to be true?? CLICK HERE to take a look at the SpVR website for details.
Before the recent Spa VR Gala, the loco had a spruce-up, improving the overall appearance of the paintwork, snowploughs and detailing. No1 end driver’s steps received some attention, including replacement treads to the steps. Further work is required when next ‘in’ for mtce. in September.
Inspection of the aux machines, generators, cubicle and desks revealed some issues for further attention, to be followed up in September. Battery electrolyte levels were topped up.
Earlier in the season, the bogie dampers were replaced with those from 065 (once they had been overhauled). The internal engineroom gutters were cut out and new guttering welded in place (well overdue), in an effort to reduce water ingress. It tends to upsets the electrics.
- The loco has received two replacement engine room side doors, and new internal gutters. Replacing life expired (long ago) BRCW ironmongery.